Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live?

Oldeuboi aka Oldboy (2003)

Rumors are there that the student who did the shooting at the Virginia Tech University was a great fan of this movie. I don’t know how far that is true. Still, this is a movie that deserves such a fan following.

oldboy11

People say that some of the best films come from the French and Iranian soil. I have not seen any of those movies yet. But, this is a terrific movie! Korean cinema at its best!

The film starts with the lead character narrating his story of imprisonment. To be frank, you have to just sit and tolerate the first few minutes of this film. Some random scenes does not give the impression of a good movie. It picks up momentum after Dae-su Oh (name of the lead character) escapes from the prison and starts to find why he was kidnapped and imprisoned. The ending of the film is quite depressing and dark. I restrain myself from telling more about the story since it would spoil your experience. If you ever watch a foreign movie, let this be the one. If it depressed you, don’t blame me and I can promise you this is not just one of such movies. And, most importantly do not watch any dubbed version of this movie. Instead use the original language version with subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment